This recipe was inspired by some fish taco recipes I’ve seen only I was out of corn tortillas so I decided to try it plated. It turned out amazing. I was debating if the cauliflower rice needed more salt when I turned to my fiance to ask, he had completely finished his portion lol. I love the flavor of the onions with the fish, it adds a great sweetness which is complimented by the creaminess of the avocado.
I chose to use sweet onions which reduces the amount of sugar needed, you could easily get away with only 1 tbsp of sugar with sweet onions. Red onions are the more classic ingredient which also add a great color to the dish.
- 2 Tilapia Filets
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- ½ Onion
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- ¼ cup Red Wine (optional)
- ½ Avocado
- Small Bunch Spinach or Arugula
- 1 large Cauliflower Head
- 2 tbsp Vegan Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Slice the onion into half moon strips. Combine the onion, apple cider vinegar, sugar and red wine (optional) in a sauce pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While simmering, cook the fish in a skillet with some coconut oil for 8-10 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Dice the avocado and set aside.
- When the fish and onions are finished, plate on top of spinach or arugula then top with the pickled onions, avocado and some of the pickled sauce.
- Cut the florets cut off the cauliflower then pulse in Vitamix with 2 cups of water until it has reached the desired consistency.
- Strain the water out then add to a pot with 2 tbsp vegan butter over median heat for 8-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.