Being gluten free, yeast free and egg free makes bread a very limited thing to come by in the store. Unfortunately most of the recipes for homemade bread I’ve found aren’t that simple either. Thankfully I came by a post on Pinterest (oh how I love Pinterest!) that solved my troubles. This recipe was originally posted by Gluten Free Skinny as pizza crust, which it is excellent for. However, I have come to love it as a flat sandwich bread.
From sandwiches, to toast and jelly in the morning this has become a staple for me. I can make a tray of it on a cookie sheet Sunday night, slice it up and put in the fridge for use all week.
I have tried this with different combinations of flour, and coconut flour, but the recipe as stated below is by far the best.
- 2 packed cups almond flour
- 1 cup arrowroot
- 1½ Tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. of flax seeds in 9 Tbsp. of warm water (let the seeds rest in the water for at least 5 minutes)
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- ½ Tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven at 425 degrees as you line an 8-inch cake pan or a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients first, then add the flax seeds with the water, the almond milk, the coconut oil and the vinegar. Mix well until blended.
- Drop the batter onto the parchment paper. The batter will be very wet. That's ok. Just use a flat spatula to smooth it out and make it pretty. Make sure the batter is evenly distributed.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the bread is golden and cooked to your liking. (If your going to make pizza, then remove from the oven after 15 minutes to add your favorite ingredients. Then put back into the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes)
- Let it cool down for 5 minutes and serve.